24 May 2010

Off to RSL Congress . . .

Well this week Nick and I are off to the 94th Annual State Congress of the Returned & Services League of Australia (New South Wales Branch) at Rooty Hill. I'm representing North Bondi RSL as the Delegate and Nick is the Alternate Delegate.

I must confess I'm a bit frustrated. A fellow delegate and I designed a blog in order to post from Congress so that the 50,.000-plus members of the RSL NSW Branch could stay informed in real time - but it seems the powers-that-be don't like the idea. So I'm off to a retro 1960/70s week. (I was born in the early 70s and do like the music from that era.)

Whilst I enjoy the RSL and the mateship it provides as well as believe in the core values and principles of the RSL, at times I find it somewhat maddening because it seems we are stuck in a time-warp from the last century. Anyone have any ideas how we can get out of the time-warp?

3 comments:

  1. Yes, the RSL can get into the 21st Century by recruiting younger veterans and active duty ADF. Surely that can get you mates out of the time-warp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Non-RSL Member - Vietnam veteran29 May, 2010 03:53

    Not going to happen Anon 0346 because the RSL does not learn from history. Look at how the WW1 veterans treated the WW2 veterans and then look at how the WW2 veterans treated the Vietnam veterans. The RSL never learns from its errors and will eventually die off. Other Ex-Service Organisations are picking up the slack and will emerge where the RSL fails.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does not suprise me the least bit. The old boys do not want communication so that they can hold onto the power. It is sad. RSL lost the plot years ago.

    ReplyDelete